Sunday, April 22, 2012

Stand Up

I'm learning. I'm learning that I have a certain set of callings, and the older I get, the more aware I am becoming of what they are. This post is about one of them.

This life mission has 2 ingredients. The first has to do with the fact that I've always known that I love people. All people at first. Then as they're weeded out - the good from the evil - I keep the good ones close in my heart. And there are lots of good ones. :)

The second ingredient is a deep-seated need for justice and fairness. (See post on this here: "Diary of a Crazy Cajun Lady."). There are few things that can really get me riled up, and most of the time people would consider me pretty meek & mild. But if I judge something to be either partially or entirely unfair - especially something that directly affects me or one of the above mentioned beloved - I can be quite the little pepper.

When these two come together, they can be explosive. In my heart of hearts I feel an incredible urge to push others to love themselves enough to fight for fairness in their own lives. Simply stated, I need to encourage people to stand up for themselves - because frankly, it's tiring to fight for justice 24/7 on others' behalf (Superman). You might think, "Well, Stacie, you don't have to do that," but you'd be wrong. I do.


Your boss arrives at an unfair assessment of your work quality/ethic/ability based on limited knowledge of what you do • You get ripped off by a large telecommunications company who refuses to compensate you because it's a virtual monopoly and doesn't have to • You're told by a homeowners insurance company that your policy is being cancelled because your house isn't painted to their liking • You get a $6 up-charge when you request a little guacamole & sour cream on-the-side at a local Mexican restaurant, and they didn't let you know of this charge on the front end...

Whatever the case, big or small, unfair is unfair, and you have to at least try to right the wrong. I'm not saying that you'll win every time - or even most of the time. But you have to realize that people make mistakes, and they need to be given an opportunity to correct them.

Case in point: A house with some chipping paint is just as likely to burn to the ground as a freshly painted one, so if that insurance company were to cancel that policy over chipped paint, and the house were to burn to the ground the next day - before there was an opportunity to "fix" that little "problem" and rewrite a new policy - the people who own that home would be completely devastated. Fair? Not at all. That's where you & I come in. If that's you in that situation, I will go to war for you if I'm in a position to do so, but most times you could as easily stand up for yourself and demand fairness. It's your right.

But you don't have to take my word for it -- Bob Marley said it best:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts